Whole roasted cauliflower recipe and content by Jordan Pie
This downright delicious whole roasted cauliflower recipe will impress all your friends -- plus, it takes only five minutes to prepare. While you cook a main dish on your stovetop or Instant Pot, you can have this eye-catching side cooking itself in the background.
A combination of ingredients allows this whole roasted cauliflower to develop a golden brown crust and tender crisp texture. First, brushing your cauliflower with a heat-safe cooking fat like grass-fed ghee adds deep flavor to the dish without oxidizing fats. Spices like coriander and cumin add delicious flavor, but you can customize this recipe and use your favorite anti-inflammatory spices. Try curry spices, fresh herbs, or simply finish with a squeeze of lemon -- the flavor combos are endless.
Whole roasted cauliflower pairs perfectly with oven-free main dishes like poached butter shrimp, slow cooker lamb stew, or Thai fish curry. Try it once, and it just might become your new favorite way to serve veggies.
Keto Whole Roasted Cauliflower With Chimichurri Sauce
Start to Finish: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 Medium Head of Cauliflower
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons melted ghee or Avocado oil
Chimichurri sauce ingredients:
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves (or 1 bunch)
- 1/2 large bunch fresh parsley leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup Brain Octane Oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the whole roasted cauliflower first. Wash and dry your cauliflower, then trim leaves. Place in a baking dish.
- Combine oil, spices, salt and pepper. Brush the mixture on top of cauliflower head evenly. Place in the oven and roast for 1 hour.
- While cauliflower roasts, prepare chimichurri sauce. Put the basil and parsley leaves in a blender or food processor and blitz until broken down.
- Add remaining chimichurri sauce ingredients and blend together until combined. Taste and adjust the lemon juice or salt, if desired. Pour finished chimichurri sauce into a jug or bowl and set it aside.
- After cauliflower has completed cooking for 1 hour, insert a knife into the center to check for doneness. If not done, continue cooking in 10-minute increments.
- When cauliflower is finished, remove from the oven and serve warm with chimichurri sauce.
Note on ingredients: Cauliflower can be moderately high in oxalates — a type of antinutrient that can cause muscle pain, kidney stones, or thyroid imbalances. Steaming cauliflower and draining the cooking water is the best way to reduce oxalates, so only enjoy it roasted on occasion. Garlic is in the suspect category of the Bulletproof Diet, because it inhibits alpha brain waves and could affect your mood – and depending on where you get it, could be moldy. For that reason, it’s not recommended that you eat garlic often. Black pepper is a suspect spice on the Bulletproof Diet, and highly susceptible to performance-robbing mold toxins. To reduce your risk, omit pepper or grind it fresh using high-quality whole peppercorns.
Nutritional Information (4oz portion):
- Calories: 222
- Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Salt: 420mg
- Carbs: 6.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Net Carbs: 3.8
- Calcium: 49mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 370mg